Saturday 30 October 2010

Pokemon craze

My boy carries his Pokemon balls around everywhere he goes and I mean everywhere! To school, in the bath, to bed and under the pillow when he sleeps.

On a Saturday he will give up his 'lørdagsgodt' for a new Pokemon ball (although I try not to encourage it as I am a little concerned with the Pokemon obsession). He is currently a little disheartened as the Pokemon 'craze' at school seems to have come to an end.

He can't quite understand why the other children aren't interested in the Pokemon balls with the little figures inside. Last week we walked home from the buss with one of his school mates. My boy was very good at keeping the conversation going - especially when it came to the subject of Pokemon balls.

"How many Pokemon balls do you have?" asked my little boy. The other boy couldn't quite remember. My son then continued naming all the figures, describing them in detail in order to help his friend remember.

At the end of the enquiry my boy concluded that his friend indeed had the whole series. This is quite difficult as one never knows what is inside the Pokemon ball before it has actually been purchased and opened.

"How long did it take you to acquire the whole series?" asked my boy. The other little boy looked at him strangely. "I don't know..." he responded with a smile. My boy then shared the tale of how he had acquired each and every one of his Pokemons. In fact he was so busy talking that he didn't even notice when the other little boy said 'Good bye'.

The teacher asked me to discuss the United Nations at home. Our little contrarian was not interested until I mentioned that my brother (who was killed in Kosovo whilst in the Norwegian military service) was part of NATO which worked with the UN.

My son immediately took out one of his (many) Pokemon balls to show me a picture that he kept of his uncle (inside the ball). He wanted to know if the uniform was UN or NATO.

When we got home we looked up the UN on the computer and it's connection to NATO. I was surprised at how quickly he learned the information we were looking at. I know I shouldn't be but I have never thought of him as being a baby genius as his focus has always seemed limited.

On Friday he went home with a new friend after school. They seem to get along well. I'm not completely comfortable as the boys were alone at home playing playstation games for two hours.

I have worked so hard to get him away from playstation because it changes his mood. This time was no exception.

Walking home from the friend's house - we were having small talk. I mentioned that I had bought a cake for big brother's birthday but that I would have to bake because it would not be enough.

My boy suddenly asked me why I always baked more for his siblings than I did for his birthday. "Do I?" I asked confused.

I found myself being accused of all sorts of things. He seemed to have forgotten all the big birthday parties he had in the past. He couldn't remember going to Spain for his last birthday. When I showed him a photo of the holiday - he told me that it didn't count because his sibling also got to go.

I gave him a few hours to settle his brain. That's all it took. We are now back to 'normal'.

2 comments:

  1. Ah the trials and tribulations of Momhood. Nothing is every fair, and everybody elses birthday is always better...and I remember well the Pokeman phase...went throught it, twice....good luck sweetie. You two will really be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diane - you inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete