Thursday 18 November 2010

BUP - close to final stage

Yesterday I spent an hour with BUP (child and teenage psychiatric dep). We have reached the stage where the psychiatrist is focusing on Aspergers's - or rather eliminating it. She feels that all other diagnoses can be eliminated.

It was an hour of questions - 'when did he say his first word/sentence?, did he use me as a tool or extension of himself before he could speak, does he point when he wants to direct my attention at something? etc etc etc'.

It was exhausting!

Next week there's another hour of questions.

We reached the question of 'does he play with his sentences -i.e say things in a strange way - can you give me an example of something that he has said?'.

Yes, he does play with words but for the life of me I can't remember a concrete example.

The thing is - it can seem as if he is 'stupid' because the sentence doesn't make sense but if you enquire you will find that there is a thought in his head that he has added. So once he explains what he is thinking - then the sentence makes sense.

His big brother does the same thing - tries to be 'superior' by playing with words. I think it's an attempt at wit.

I'll have to be 'on the look out' this week and write it down when next he does something like that.

The psychiatrist made me realize something though. It was only when we moved to England at the age of five that I started noticing that my boy was 'different'. Specifically I realized that he was not as 'mature' as children his own age. Before that I merely thought of him as being active whilst everybody else was shouting 'ADHD!'.

He wanted to play for the sake of playing not for winning or competition.

He was extremely outgoing and had no problem approaching children until the age of six. That was when he started avoiding direct eye contact with the other children.

He stil doesn't have a problem approaching other children. It's understanding their play without getting offended about something or other that is the problem.

'Does he come across as a little professor?'.

I would say more like a 'prosecuting attorney'. He can destroy your defense so fast your head spins. Sometimes I am left thinking 'what just happened, how did I lose that debate so quickly?'.






No comments:

Post a Comment